Nimbus JOSE + JWT
- The most popular and robust Java library for JSON Web Tokens (JWT)
- Supports all standard signature (JWS) and encryption (JWE) algorithms
- Open source Apache 2.0 licence
Check out the library homepage for more info and examples.
Full compact JOSE and JWT support
Create, serialise and process compact-encoded:
- Plain (unsecured) JOSE objects
- JSON Web Signature (JWS) objects
- JSON Web Encryption (JWE) objects
- JSON Web Key (JWK) objects and JWK sets
- Plain, signed and encrypted JSON Web Tokens (JWTs)
The less frequently used alternative JSON encoding is on the road map.
Supported JOSE algorithms
The library can handle all standard JOSE algorithms:
- HMAC integrity protection: HS256, HS384 and HS512
- RSASSA-PKCS1-V1_5 signatures: RS256, RS384 and RS512
- RSASSA-PSS signatures: PS256, PS384 and PS512
- EC signatures: ES256, ES384 and ES512
- Key encryption with RSAES-PKCS1-V1_5: RSA1_5 (deprecated)
- Key encryption with RSAES OAEP: RSA-OAEP and RSA-OAEP-256
- Key encryption with AES key wrap: A128KW, A192KW and A256KW
- Key encryption with AES GCM: A128CGMKW, A192CGMKW and A256CGMKW
- Direct shared symmetric key encryption: dir
- Key Agreement with Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman Ephemeral Static: ECDH-ES, ECDH-ES+A128KW, ECDH-ES+A192KW and ECDH-ES+A256KW
- Password-based encryption: PBES2-HS256+A128KW, PBES2-HS384+A192KW and PBES2-HS512+A256KW
- Content encryption with AES_CBC_HMAC_SHA2: A128CBC-HS256, A192CBC-HS384, A256CBC-HS512, the deprecated A128CBC+HS256 and A256CBC+HS512 are also supported
- Content encryption with AES GCM: A128GCM, A192GCM and A256GCM
- JWE Compression with DEFLATE.
Supported IETF standards
- RFC 7515 - JSON Web Signature (JWS)
- RFC 7516 - JSON Web Encryption (JWE)
- RFC 7517 - JSON Web Key (JWK)
- RFC 7518 - JSON Web Algorithms (JWA)
- RFC 7519 - JSON Web Token (JWT)
- RFC 7520 - Examples of Protecting Content Using JSON Object Signing and Encryption (JOSE)
- RFC 7165 - Use Cases and Requirements for JSON Object Signing and Encryption (JOSE)
- RFC 8037 - CFRG Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman (ECDH) and Signatures in JSON Object Signing and Encryption (JOSE)
System requirements and dependencies
The Nimbus JOSE+JWT library requires Java 7+ and has minimal dependencies.
- JSON Smart for highly efficient parsing and serialisation of JSON.
- JCIP for concurrency annotations.
- [optional] BouncyCastle as an alternative JCA provider.
For Maven add:
<version>[ version ]</version>
[ version ] is the latest stable version.
To post bug reports and suggestions:
Follow updates and new releases on Twitter: